On any diet, what we really miss is our freedom to eat unhealthy foods. Luckily, with the Agoge diet, you can enjoy a shredded body without counting calories.
The Agoge Diet meanings to a specific dietary plan and lifestyle approach that derives its philosophy from the rigorous training regimen of the ancient Spartan warriors. This diet prioritizes clean, whole foods such as lean proteins, various fruits and vegetables, nuts, legumes, and whole grains while discouraging processed and sugary foods.
Continue reading for more details.
Table of Contents
What Is Agoge Diet ?
The term Agoge comes from an ancient Greek, which means aggressive. In Greek culture, Spartan males had to participate in a rigorous training and education program named Agoge.
During the session, the warriors used to eat a specific diet to stay physically fit and healthy. Predominantly low in carbohydrates, this diet demands high consumption of proteins and healthy fats for optimal physical performance and endurance.
It advocates for eliminating processed foods, sugar, and grains from meals, thus promoting healthier body composition and better control of blood sugar levels.
Agoge Diet Plan For Weight Loss
Basically, it includes vegetables, fruits, lean protein, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and low-fat dairy products. You can include healthy fats like olive oil and avocados in the meals. So, no more compromise with the taste, and you finally enjoy your body transformation journey.
The Agoge diet allows you to lose weight even after eating the tastiest meals. Here is the scientific explanation.
You can eat almost anything on the Agoge diet, but there is a limit. For example, grain and dairy product consumption should be minimum. Besides, the diet includes intermittent fasting, which helps burn fat and build a shredded body.
Benefits Of The Agoge Diet Plan
Honestly, people seem to be confused about the origin of the Agoge diet. While some people suggest, it is the creation of a British physician, others like the Spartan story.
In any case, there is absolutely no doubt about the benefits of the Agoge diet. Some key advantages are,
1. Forget Calorie Counts: When you are on an Agoge diet, you need not to track your calories anymore. I know high-calorie intake can be dangerous for our health. But Agoge emphasizes physical activities equally to burn the excess calories you consume.
2. Guaranteed Weight Loss: Agoge diet promotes low carb and high protein intake. The high protein percentage keeps you full for a longer time and benefits muscle hypertrophy.
3. More Athletic & Energetic: The high protein provides your body with enough amino acids to repair and grow your muscles after intense workouts. Again, the good fats in the meals ensure an energy boost and muscle tolerance.
4. Risk-Free Life: Well, the high protein of Agoge meals reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes, obesity, and hypertension. Likewise, the addition of lots of vegetables, fruits, and lean proteins minimizes the chance of cardiovascular diseases. You are also free from chronic diseases like cancer or high blood pressure.
5. A Better Body Build: Lean protein and whole food promote dense bone formation. As a result, you enjoy a better physique than before.
Again, because of the high protein percentage, the Agoge diet also helps maintain muscle mass regardless of age.
There are many more benefits of the Agoge diet plan. For example,
- It improves your immunity system.
- You enjoy better skin, teeth, and eye health.
- Women experience a smooth pregnancy period.
- Your bowel movement becomes regular because of a healthy digestive system.
Agoge Diet Food List
Of course, the Spartans were not big fans of processed foods. Therefore, you must only add unprocessed items to your Agoge diet lists. A suggested food chart is as follows,
|Animal Protein||Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, salmon, Egg whites|
|Fat Sources||Flax seeds, olive oil, vegetable oil (soy, canola, sunflower), nuts, avocados, fish oil, etc.|
|Low Fat Dairies||Fat-free yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.|
|Non-Starchy Vegetables||Figs, apples, berries, etc.|
|Low-Sugar Fruits||Figs, apples,berries, etc.|
|Whole Grains||Quinoa, oats, barley, etc.|
|Light Snacks||Nuts, seeds, carrot sticks, meat jerky, etc.|
|Beverage||Protein shakes, fruit juices, coffee, tea, etc.|
Foods To Avoid On Agoge Diet
While the Agoge diet promotes the abovementioned items, there are some foods you should avoid at all costs. Such as,
- Sugary beverages (colas, sodas, and juices)
- Processed items (chips, tinned vegetables, etc.)
- Junk foods (pizza, burger, sausage, etc.)
- High-carb food (bread, pasta, and rice)
- Sugar-rich bakery items (cake, candies, cookies, etc.)
The Must-Follow Agoge Diet Meal Plan
Well, the Agoge diet allows you to eat whatever you want. But at the same time, it expects you to follow a disciplined lifestyle. The rules may vary depending on your food sources, but the common tenants go as follows,
- Intermittent Fasting: The healthy practice is to eat every 4 hours throughout the day. You may stretch out the hours depending on your physique goals and capabilities.
- Lean Protein: You must add lean protein sources to your every meal. Chicken, turkey, and lean red meat are popular options.
- Vegetables & Fruits: Each meal must include 3 servings of non-starchy vegetables like asparagus, spinach, mushroom, etc. Do not forget to eat small portions of fruits (low sugar content) afterwards.
- Healthy Fats: Healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, nuts, and seeds offer several health benefits. For example, more control over blood sugar levels, improvement in cholesterol, and reduced heart diseases. These sources should fulfil 40% of your calorie necessity.
- Calorie Count: Eating 14 calories per pound of your weight is healthy. Healthy fats are enough to provide you with 40% of your required calories. The rest you should extract from the protein (35%) and carbs (25%).
- Hydration: Though you can drink coffee or tea on this diet, caffeine seems to cause dehydration. Therefore, you should consume about 1 gallon of water per day.
- Workout: Intense physical activities are an inseparable part of this diet. It means the Agoge diet is useless if you are inactive all day.
- Cheat Day: Every day can be your cheat day with the Agoge diet. Ensure you have completed a 3-hour intense workout before eating high-carb or sugar.
You can also try alternative diets: Ketovore Diet
Dangers Of The Agoge Diet
Apparently, there is no significant risk of following the Agige diet. But yes, as you switch to this meal plan, your body takes a few days to adopt the new routine. You may experience headaches, fatigue, constipation, etc. Every time, I used to say to my followers,
Patience and persistence are the keys to success, for a diet is never accomplished in a day
The Best Agoge Diet Recipes
One of the best things about the Agoge diet is that it allows you to eat various delicious, nutritious meals. Here are some of the best Agoge diet recipes that you can try at home:
Chicken and Broccoli: This stir-fry recipe is a great way to get your daily veggies and lean protein.
Chicken Tenders: These crispy chicken tenders are a healthier alternative to fast-food chicken nuggets. Serve with a side of sweet potato fries for a satisfying meal.
Ground Chicken: It makes a great substitute for ground beef. This recipe for Greek-style ground chicken is flavorful and easy to prepare.
Oven Fried Fish: This is a healthier alternative to traditional fried fish. The crispy coating is made with almond flour and spices.
I highly recommend to follow the Agoge Diet if you’re looking for a healthy, sustainable eating routine. By focusing on my diet food list and intuitive eating, this diet can help you feel more energized and healthy than ever before.
While adjusting to this new way of eating may take some time and effort, it is well worth it in the end.